The Masters of Health Professions Education (MHPE) provides an educational research foundation for teaching, assessment and leadership in health professions education. The MHPE curriculum is comprised of twelve courses which focus on the application of learning principles to educational practice. All courses emphasize an applied project based on students’ professional experiences. The educational portfolio serves as an integrative tool across courses, and as a showcase for student accomplishments. The MHPE reflects a unique collaboration between the School of Education and the School of Medicine at UMKC, both nationally recognized for their innovation in teaching and learning.
- Interprofessional--For all health education professionals.
- Educational research foundation--Evidence-based decision making.
- Application--Based on solving real instructional problems in health professions education.
- Professional Portfolio--Documents learning goals and accomplishments.
- Summer Health Professions Education Mini-Conference--Student-facilitated health professions education conference.
- Blended--Coursework is blended (includes both classroom and asynchronous online instruction. Most courses require some in-class meetings.)
- Understand and apply educational research in health professions education.
- Design evidence-based educational programs and materials with appropriate scope, sequence, and focus for learners.
- Deliver effective, theory-based instruction in large group, small group and clinical settings.
- Effectively use assessment tools to reflect student progress and to promote student learning.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs, curricula and instructional events.
- Provide reflective and evidence-based leadership.
- Develop cultural awareness and commitment to diversity as linked to practice in all aspects of health professions education.
- Contribute to excellence in health professions education and advancement of the health professions education community.
Plan of Study
The program includes the following courses:
- Current Issues in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5530)
- Principles and Methods of Research (EDRP 5508)
- Teaching in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5560)
- Assessment in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5550)
- Curriculum Design in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5522)
- Program Evaluation in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5580)
- Advanced Educational Research in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5590)
- Leadership and Administration in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5500)
- Intermediate Statistics (EDRP 5555)
- Teaching about Culture and Health (HPRE 5566)
- Portfolio (EDRP 5588)
- Summer Health Professions Education Mini-conference (EDRP 5599)