Student Affairs at the UMKC School of Medicine is committed to assisting students in building skills related to the school's core competencies:
- Effective Communication
- Medical Knowledge
- Practice-based learning and improvement
- System-based Practice
- Patient Care
Admissions, advising, co-curricular activities, leadership activities, careers advising, student affairs policies and communication to students are all designed with these competencies in mind. The Office of Student Affairs shares an ongoing commitment to providing comprehensive support and student assistance. Every step necessary is taken to ensure the academic and professional success and development of our students.
We therefore strive to do the following:
- Treat students with respect
- Support and challenge students in their development into responsible students and adults
- Clearly communicate student expectations and hold students accountable
- Provide constructive and encouraging feedback, as positively as possible.
- Encourage students to be proactive ad seek help when needed
- Model positive behavior related to our own competencies
- Advocate for students to be successful (even though it may contradict students' short-term desires)
- Promote balance between academics, personal growth, and wellness